Saturday, April 18, 2009

Post 336


Kind of a departure from what you're used to seeing from me, right?! Yeah, kind of different to me as well. I always had a bad relationship with portraits. I couldn't get past my own style to just draw what's there! Recently I've been doing a lot of direct observation drawings and I've really worked on visual memory retention to the point where it really helps in capturing specific ideas. a big area that helps is not using a pencil. Sketching VERY lightly with white, or whatever predominant color that is being used, because later it'll get covered over, it comes out so much better. But this is an example piece. I still have more to do, but I'm saving it for when I demo for my classes for when they start portrait work. I haven't gotten people to model for a photo to reference in many years! I used to get my best friend Ryan to do that back in high school, and it was always a lot of fun, and with good results. I'm going to try it with a Batgirl piece next!

This weekend Luan, Matt, and I will be at the Dallas Sci Fi Expo at the Richardson Civic Center. We'll be chilling with our homey Kristian, so definitely stop by and say hi!

No comments: